Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The Mercantile Bank of Lancashire opens its Branch at Bramhall Lane in the late 1890s, only a few years before the Mercantile is subsumed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank. Following the merger in 1928 of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, Martins Bank is created, and Bramhall becomes one of its Branches. Here in cheshire, as in most of the Northern English Counties, you can find a Branch of the Bank in most towns and villlages.  Martins adds two sub-Branches to Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme in 1967 and Poynton in 1968.  Cheadle is not required by Barclays when it takes over from Martins in 1969, but Poynton fares much better, and remains open for a total of forty-three years, closing in March 2011.  Bramhall Branch itself moves to Woodford Road in 1976. For our feature, we visit the Bramhall of 1950, where, on the first day of Spring, the Branch receives a visit from Martins Bank Magazine – eager to capture life in this part of Cheshire…

 

Sep 1.jpg1960 s Bramhall Exterior BGa Ref 33-96.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 33/96

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

1950 02 MBM.jpgWe picked the first real day of Spring for our visit to Bramhall, Manchester District's choice for the Summer Issue. By train to Manchester first of all, there to meet Harold Blundell whose turn it was to have a day out, and thence by car. The sun was shining even in Manchester and whatever the Manchester folk think about Harold's job there was no doubt in their minds about ours being the best job in the Bank on that warm Spring morning as we left them all stewing at their desks. “The trivial round, the common task” might suit some folk but we had the best of it that morning, very definitely. The Cheshire countryside was looking its loveliest and it was easy to understand why Mr. Verity lived at Bramhall when he was District General Manager and why Mr. and Mrs. Tarn are grieving at the thought of leaving it, as leave it they must to be nearer to Liverpool. When we arrived at the branch we didn't quite get the hang of things at first. Mr. Helme was there to greet us, but the rest of his staff appeared to consist of two Inspectors from District Office and a lady relief clerk, also from District Office. No one else was on deck. However, in course of time they all showed up with the exception of Miss B. F. Marsh, who was on sick leave. She entered the service in 1947 and has been at Gatley until January of this year. Mr. Helme says that she is an excellent worker and he is very pleased with her, but, alas, she is engaged to be married, a fact which numbers her days amongst us. 

 

1950 Bramhall Staff MBM-Su50P34.jpgMr. Helme himself entered the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1907 and has served for varying periods at Spring Gardens, Corn Exchange, Oldham, Hulme, Heaton Chapel and Brown Street before his appointment as Manager at Bramhall in 1945. In his younger days he was a keen sportsman and skippered Cheshire and was also North of England Captain at lacrosse. In the First World War, in which he served from 1914 to 1919, he fought on the Somme, being wounded, and later became a Staff Captain in the Indian Army.  He has two daughters, one of whom is nursing at the Middlesex Hospital and the other is on the staff of the B.B.C In Manchester.  A. W. Hawkins, the second man, is another L. and Y. man, who entered that Bank in 1909. He served at a number of branches before going to Bramhall in 1946, including Harpurhey, Great Ancoats Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, Miles Platting, Levenshulme and Heaton Chapel. At Miles Platting he held internal signing power. He is another First World War veteran, serving in France and finally being captured at Aveluy Wood. He is a keen British Legion man and is Treasurer of the Cheadle Hulme branch of the Legion. He has a daughter out in Trieste working with the W.V.S. G. Ramsell came into the Bank in 1947 at Stockport, to which branch he returned after his military service. He had only been at Bramhall a week or so at the time of our visit. He is a musician and is organist and choirmaster at a local church.  After a chat with the staff, we left them to do the work, and motor­ed out to Chelford for lunch, passing familiar scenes and boyhood haunts in Wilmslow and Alderley Edge. We had to be back in Manchester by 3 p.m. as, seeing it was such a lovely day Mr. Maxwell had hatched up some business away from the city and wanted the car. Afternoon tea with Mr. Cowpe concluded a very pleasant day.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1940 to 1945 Mr G K Dyson Manager MBM-Sp61P51.jpg

1951 Mr F S Helme Manager MBM-Sp51P23.jpg

1950 Mr A W Hawkins Branch Second MBM-Su50P34.jpg

1959 Mr H B Turton Manager MBM-Au59P41

1967 Mr PW Manuel pro Manager MBM-Au67P05.jpg

1968 Mr ND Crompton pro Manager MBM-Au68P14.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr G K Dyson

Manager

1939 to 1945

Mr F S Helme

Manager

1945 to 1951

Mr A W Hawkins

Branch Second

1950

Mr H B Turton

Manager

1951 to 1959

Mr P W Manuel

Pro Manager

1967

Mr N D Crompton

Pro Manager

1968

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-06-20 Bramhall

Full Branch

2 Bramhall Lane Bramhall Stockport Cheshire

714 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

061 439 5561/2

Nightsafe Installed

Mr E S Doughty Manager

Sep 1.jpg

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-06-20 CHEADLE HULME

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-06-20 POYNTON

 

Late 1890s

1 July 1904

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

1976

Currently

Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-12-01 Bramhall, Bramhall Lane

Closed and moved to 14 Woodford Road

Car Spares Outlet

Gutinfo.jpgx