Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and MartinsSep 1.jpg 

Having only within the previous two years taken on the branches of both the Palatine Bank and the Halifax Commercial Bank, the Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens its first Blackburn Branch in 1922 at 10 Higher Church Street. 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays 1927

 

Sep 1.jpg

Image © BT 1927

 

 

At the time of the amalgamation of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1928, Blackburn is suddenly creaking at the seams with Branches of the newly created Martins Bank.  An inevitable consolidation takes place with, initially, the loss of only one Branch – 10 Higher Church Street.  Darwen Street is one of the many Lancashire and Yorkshire Branches in the town. It is both large enough, and better equipped to become the main Branch in Blackburn.  Sadly we have no images available of the staff of Higher Church Street, (not even the splendidly titled Mr Nutter!) but as ever, the available details about this branch and its history are laid out for you below…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours :

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-093 Blackburn High Church Street

Branch

10 Higher Church Street Blackburn Lancashire

710 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Blackburn 5787

Counter Service

Mr A B Nutter Manager

1922

3 January 1928

1928

Currently

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

“Smokers’ World”

Gutinfo.jpg