Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

The story of Martins Bank’s fifty year long connection with Bournemouth begins in 1925, when the town is still in the county of Hampshire, and the Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens a new Branch at 128/130 Christchurch Old Road.  In 1934 the Branch relocates to 49 Old Christchurch Road, and it is this office that survives the 1969 merger with Barclays and lasts until until 1975.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Martins Bank Archive

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from the Annual Report and Accounts of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited 1925

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays 1934

Sep 1.jpg

 

Multi Letterheads 34.jpgSome newly discovered papers shows the Bank’s attempts to make the new Branch pay for itself through the installation of tenants in the upstairs rooms. Various companies and individuals are invited, and the plan is, the longer the rental period, the better the income for the Bank.  The letters and documents, which are written between interested parties and either Bournemouth Branch, London 68 Lombard Street Branch, or the Bank’s Bournemouth Solicitor, also give us the best information currently to hand about the date of closure of 128/130 Old Christchurch Road – most probably Saturday 10th March 1934, with the new branch opening on Monday 12th March.

Sep 1.jpg

J B le Page Header Details.jpgAmongst various Bournemouth businesses invited to make an offer on the shiny new offices are: - The Ocean Accident and Gurantee Corporation of Southampton, who are not interested now but might be in the future, Messrs J B Le Page & Co Limited, (Merchants, Factors, Shipping Agents and Wharfingers), who take Room 11 on the third floor, Wm Hector Mackenzie, Civil Engineer who “couldn’t find anything suitable” amongst the rooms being let, and similarly, Mr A F French, Chiropodist writes to the Bank’s solicitors, Messrs Hankinson & Co to say that after inspecting the property, he too finds it unsuitable! 

Sep 1.jpg

It is not an easy task then, to let out rooms in Bournemouth in 1934, but interesting to note, that for the successful letting of Room 11 to Messrs Le Page, the solicitor receives a commission from the Bank of £2. 5/- (£2.25).  Further correspondence reveals that there is a tenant referred to only as Mr Child, who is paying a rent of £30p.a. 

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank’s Inspection Department at 68 Lombard Street is keen that the solicitor persuades prospective tenants to offer at least the same amount for similarly sized rooms, just in case Mr Child should get wind of someone paying less, and take legal action against the Bank!  (And they say we have a litigation culture today as if it is something new!)  It is pleasing to note that JB Le Page’s Letterhead includes details of their bankers, none other than Martins Bank Limited, Bournemouth.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1925 to 1927 Mr J R Branscombe Manager MBM-Wi51P37.jpg

1925 to 1954 Mr H G Allison Manager from 1927 MBM-Wi54P46.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J R Branscombe

Manager

1925 to 1927

Mr H G Allison

Manager

1927 to 1954

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-119 Bournemouth 

Full Branch

128/130 Old Christchurch Road Bournemouth Hampshire

164 South Western

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Bournemouth 1922

Night safe Installed

Mr H G Allison Manager (1934)

Sep 1.jpg

25 February 1925

3 January 1928

10 March 1934

Opened by the Halifax Equitable Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to new premises at 49 Old Christchurch Road

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpgM

,