Sep 1.jpg

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Sep 1.jpg

A game of musical chairs…

Sep 1.jpg

A consequence of banking mergers, acquisitions and amalgamations can often be a “glut” of branches in a particular town. This may be advantageous, but when those branches are in the same street, it is not always efficient to keep them all open.  In Burnley’s case Martins has three branches in the town centre – one is St James’ Street, and TWO in Hargreaves Street, just six doors apart from each other. 1930 sees the first programme of branch closures since the bank became Martins Bank Limited in 1928, and the decicion is taken to close No 7 Hargreaves, and move the business to No 13.  Martins is very successful in Burnley, and over the following thirty years business grows to the point where the two remaining branches are past their prime, and finding it difficult to cope.  A fourth branch takes their place, at MANCHESTER ROAD, completing Burnley’s game of musical chairs…

 

Sep 1.jpg

1922 Burnley 7 Hargreaves St Branch as L & Y Bank Closed by Martins 1930 PA.jpg

Image (1922) – W N Townson Bequest

 

Sep 1.jpg

1907 to 1919 Mr H Wilkinson joined the service here MBM-Su47P27.jpg

1915 Mr E L Fielden Career began MBM-Sp60P43.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr H Wilkinson

Joined the bank here

1907 to 1919

Mr E L Fielden

Joined the bank here

1915 to 1930

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-141 Burnley 7 Hargreaves Street

Full Branch

7 Hargreaves Street Burnley

104 Craven

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1200

Burnley 2370

Not Known

Not Known

Sep 1.jpg

Pre 1922

3 January 1928

1930

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpgW