Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Burnley is a town that gets to know Martins Bank very well over the years.   At various times there have been Branches at both No 7 and No 13 Hargreaves Street, St James Street, Brierfield, Colne Road, Duke Bar Habergham and Manchester Road.   These are a mixed bag of Branches, mainly from the Craven Bank merger of 1906, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank merger of 1928, apart from Manchester Road which is a completely new Branch built and opened by Martins Bank in 1963.  In the days of the Craven Bank, the Branch is known as Colne Road, and this is Changed to Duke Bar in 1926 by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins. Just as well really, as the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank also has a Branch in Colne Road, which will become a Martins Bank Branch in 1928.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays 1930

Sep 1.jpg

Burnley

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Duke Bar falls victim to the first of three periods of Branch consolidation by Martins, and is closed in 1931.  Some Branches  - especially in areas where the Bank’s representation is already strong - are axed following the rebuilding in 1930 of 68 Lombard Street and the construction of Martins’ new Head Office in Liverpool, which opens in 1932.

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-141 Burnley Duke Bar

Sub to 11-141 Burnley

13 Briercliffe Road Duke Bar Burnley Lancashire

104 Craven

Not Known 

Not Known

Burnley 2258

Counter Service only

Burnley Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Prior to 1906

23 March 1906

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1931

Currently

opened by the Craven Bank Limited

The Bank of Liverpool

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Insurance Broker

Gutinfo.jpgW