Sep 1.jpg

At the time of Martins Bank Magazine’s visit to the Bank’s four Bootle branches in 1964,  325 Derby Road  - the first of the four to have been opened by the Bank of Liverpool in 1884 – is still a full branch.  The remaining Bootle Branches were opened in this order: 211 Stanley Road , then Linacre, and finally 99 Stanley Road. We have divided the magazine article into four parts, in order to provide information about each od these branches, within their own pages of the Online Archive…  

Sep 1.jpg

1968 Bootle Map Geographia 4CB2.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1950 s Bootle 325 Derby Road Exterior BGA Ref 30-313 

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/0313

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

1964 02 MBM.jpgBootle has docks along its entire waterfront: behind, it has warehouses, timber  yards, sidings, smoke and a great big smile. It has a General Hospital, parks, dingy streets, wide thorough­fares, pubs galore, an Art Gallery, and a Tech­nical College where some of our best girls come from. Bootle does everything for ships, besides making bread and metal windows, cattle food and cables, pick-up balers and paint. It dyes clothes, tans leather and has a Merseyside accent.

Sep 1.jpg

For a long time Bootle was to Merseyside what Wigan Pier and mothers-in-law were to stage comics. But by the end of the 1941 blitz 8,000 of Bootle's 17,000 houses were destroyed or badly damaged and a further 8,000 suffered in some way. 20,000 people were made homeless, another 20,000 were evacuated in 3˝ hours, and over 2,000 were killed or injured; acres of property were laid waste, the main roads were blocked and all services were severed. People who remember these things don't laugh at Bootle any more— they laugh with it, for Bootle is quite happy to laugh at itself.

Sep 1.jpg

If you mention that an 18th century writer described Bootle as 'a wild place and roads execrable' your local man will reply 'What's wrong wit der roads? A bit crowded. But dere arl right!'  And if you should recall that early in the 19th century Bootle was a fashionable resort 'with sands hard and smooth, the wind cool and refreshing, where old and young, agile and infirm, plunge together in the sea and exhibit a scene marked with cheerfulness and simplicity' cold eyes would be fixed on you and with awful finality would come the blunt statement : 'Well, you've 'ad DAT!'

Sep 1.jpg

Bootle has been a township since 1868 and the motto on its Coat of Arms reads Respice, Aspics, Prospice: 'Reflect on the past, consider the present, provide for the future'. Bootle seems to be doing all these things. To reflect on the past, the Bank of Liverpool opened its first Bootle branch at 325 Derby Road on May 1st 1884 and, despite the rather dis­couraging but simple statement reproduced above, the branch made a profit in its second year. Considering the present, Bootle branch stands opposite a side street leading directly down to the docks and, as an illustration of the maintenance problems in the area, it was re­painted internally eight months ago and it is now necessary to have the paintwork washed down.  Mr A. S. Jopling, the Manager, is the son of the late Mr W. E. Jopling, the first Staff Manager of the Bank.

Sep 1.jpg

1950 s Bootle 325 Derby Road Interior BGA Ref 30-313

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/0313

Image © Martins Bank Archive

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1923 to 1931 Mr R J Lees joined the bank here MBM-Wi63P52.jpg

1964 Miss I M Scott MBM-Su64P28.jpg

1964 Mr AS Jopling Manager MBM-Wi65P02.jpg

1964 Miss L J Cook MBM-Su64P28.jpg

1964 Mr JC Stockdale MBM-Su65P06.jpg

1964 Mr J T McKenna MBM-Su64P28.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R J Lees

Joined the Bank Here

1923 to 1931

Miss I M Scott

On the Staff

1964

Mr A S Jopling

Manager

1964

Miss L J Cook

On the Staff

1964

Mr J C Stockdale

On the Staff

1964

Mr J T McKenna

On the Staff

1964

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1964 Mr A G Birkett MBM-Su64P28.jpg

1965 to 1967 Mr C D Skelton Clerk in Charge MBM-Su67P04.jpg

1969 Mr HV Bateson Manager MBM-Au64P05.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J D Birkett

On the Staff

1964

Mr C D Skelton

Clerk in Charge

1965 to 1967

Mr H V Bateson

Manager

1969 onwards

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-25-80 Bootle Derby Road

Sub to 11-25-80 Bootle 211 Stanley Road

325 Derby Road Bootle Lancashire

39 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

BOOtle 3475

No Nightsafe

Mr H V Bateson Manager

 

1 May 1884

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

 15 December 1969

25 November 1983

Currently

opened by the Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-10-83 Bootle 211 Stanley Road

Closed

Much of this area has been re-developed

Gutinfo.jpgx