Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

1946 COA.jpgA magnificent building, Martins Branch at 59 London Street Norwich is surplus to requirements when Martins and Barclays merge.  This is because of Barclays’ long term connections with the area, and the resultant large number of branches in the City, including one at 30 London Street. 

Sep 1.jpg

East Anglia.jpgUnusually however, Martins Bank’s Branch is retained by Barclays until 1976. From 12 December 1969 until 13 Februry 1970, they are used as relief offices for 30 London Street, but not as a sub-Branch or a self accounting sub-Branch. From 16 Feb 1970, the premises are once more used as a Branch whilst alterations are made to 30 London Road.  The news is much better however, for the Martins sub-Branch at EATON, which in 1969 is a newly built branch in a part of Norwich where Martins is the first bank to trade.  It is therefore very valuable to the owners of the new name above the door, and it remains open today. On this page we journey through thick fog to Norwich in 1949, and in 1969 we seem to have double vision! Look out also in the branch details section for early examples of something still quite new in the 1960s – POST CODES

Sep 1.jpg

1949 04 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/2128

Sep 1.jpg

One of the worst fogs within living memory blanketed out Norwich on the night of our arrival, November 15th, over an hour late, but Mr. C. E. Moore, Manager of our Norwich branch, was waiting to guide us through the gloom to our hotel. The warmth and friendliness of our reception by our Norwich colleagues was ample recompense for the inhospitable welcome of the raw Norvicensian night. Mr. Moore's bank service commenced in 1916 and he served at Great Crosby, Southport, Head Office, Central, Aintree and Birkdale branches before his appointment as Manager at Ormskirk in 1932. He opened Norwich branch in 1946 and has worked up a very nice business there.

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref: 0030/2128

Sep 1.jpg

Most of his social activities in Ormskirk he has been able to resume in Norwich. He was Treasurer of the Ormskirk Scout Association and is now Treas­urer for Norwich. He was a prison visitor at Walton Gaol and does similar work at Nor­wich Gaol. His A.F.C. activities in Ormskirk have found their counterpart in Norwich. Rotary alone has not reclaimed him, there not having yet arisen a vacancy in his classification. His second man is G. Johnson whose entire service since his entry in 1923 was spent at 68 Lombard Street, apart from war service from 1942-1946. He went to Norwich when the branch was opened. P. E. Stone, who is missing from the photograph on account of absence through illness, entered the bank at Norwich in June of this year. B. Solomon also entered the service at Norwich this year, starting in January. Both are local boys. The only girl is Miss P. A. Moore, daughter of the Manager. She entered the bank in 1945 at Maghull and went with her father to Norwich in 1946.

 

She is keen, competent, and as one would expect from her background and upbringing, thoroughly conscientious in all she under­takes. She has recently started a Brownie Pack at St. Peter Mancroft Church. Our plan of spending the evening in Mr. Moore's home was defeated by the fog, but on the following day we had a very pleasant lunch with Mr. and Mrs. Moore before continuing our travels. An outpost the branch certainly is, its nearest neighbour being a trunk call away and if "o'er heathen lands afar thick darkness broodeth yet" so far as knowledge of Martins Bank is concerned, Mr. Moore and his staff are doing a very good best to change the darkness into light.

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref: 0030/2128

Sep 1.jpg

1969 Winifred and Jean - Twins at Same Branch MBM-Su69P37Double Your Money!

Sep 1.jpg

It seems Norwich is famous for more than being the home of “Sale of the Century”.  It is the place where the work choices of their husbands bring together a pair of twins, who realise their dream of working in the same office.  Our Norwich Branch is this dream workplace, and even in the publicity shot, Winifred and Jean are seen to be wasting no time by checking coin together…

 

 

1969 02 MBM.jpgLondon twins Mrs. Winifred Roe and Mrs Jean Daley hoped they might some time work together. They achieved their ambition recently, when both their husbands were moved to Norfolk, and Jean got a job at our Norwich branch where her sister was already working.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1949 Mr C E Moore MBM-Wi49P35

1949 Miss P A Moore MBM-Wi49P35

1950 to 1961 Mr JC Quevillart MBM-Su64P08.jpg

1951 to 1961 Mr C D Mann joined the bank here MBM-Au67P06

1960 to 1965 AF Sharp Manager MBM-Su65P08.jpg

1963 to 1967 Mr J N Driver MBM-Au68P08.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr C E Moore

Opened this Branch as

Manager 1946 to 1960

Miss P A Moore

On the Staff

1946 to ?

Mr J C Quevillart

Staff Member

1950 to 1961

Mr C D Mann

Joined the Bank Here

1951 to 1961

Mr A F Sharp

Manager

1960 to 1965

Mr J N Driver

Staff Member

1963 to 1967

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1964 Mr JL Hollands pro Manager MBM-Sp64P07.jpg

1965 Mr EB Thorington Manager MBM-Su65P04.jpg

1966 Mr R Pennington pro Manager MBM-Au66P02.jpg

1969 Mrs Winifred Roe MBM-Su69P37.jpg

1969 Mrs Jean Daley MBM-Su69P37.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J L Hollands

Pro Manager

1964 to 1966

Mr E Basil Thorington

Manager

1965 onwards

Mr R Pennington

Pro Manager

1966

Mrs W Roe

Cashier

1969

Mrs J Daley

Cashier

1969

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-50-60 Norwich

Main Branch

59 London Street Norwich NOR 06E

454 London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Norwich 23146

Nightsafe Installed

Mr E Basil Thorington Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-50-60 NORWICH CATTLE MARKET

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-50-60 NORWICH UNIVERSITY

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-50-60 EATON

22 August 1946

12 December 1969

16 February 1970

Currently

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and business transferred to Barclays 30 London Street

Re-opened as a temporary branch for six weeks

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg