Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Within the space of nine years, Martins Bank opens two Branches in Nottingham. This magnificent building at Market Street is first to open, and begins serving customers early in 1931.  The second Branch at Victoria Street opens in 1940, about nine months after the outbreak of the Second World War. Our main Nottingham Market Street feature comes courtesy of our friends at The Architects’ Journal, in an article from January 1932.  This is a busy and historic time for Martins, the new Head Office building opens in Liverpool and less than one year ago, 68 Lombard Street re-opened after a complete rebuild.  Martins may have been celebrating the achievement of opening these major offices, but that year too, the people of Nottingham had something to be proud of, their own splendidly designed branch of the Bank…

1932 Branch is completed. From Architects Journal PA

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collections

Advertisement Restored 20/06/2021

In Service: 2 Feb 1931 to 11 May 1979

1946 Market St Exterior MBM-Su46P21

Image © 1932 The Architects’ Journal

 

Sep 1.jpg

1932 Nottingham INTMR

A view of the Manager’s room,

which is elliptical

1932 Nottingham MINTP

A plan showing the internal layout

of the new branch

Sep 1.jpg

The plaque on the parapet is carved in bas-relief with the arms of the bank, including the well-known grasshopper.  Internally, the walls of the banking hall and the fittings are carried out in waxed walnut, with ebonised inlays up to the counter height, and above this the walls are finished in French stuc, with an entablature cornice of Greek detail, and with a specially large central light fitting in enriched bronze. The manager's elliptical room is panelled to door height in similar walnut, with loose walnut furniture, a pale stone-coloured Saxony carpet and brick-red leather upholstery to the seats and desk.   

Sep 1.jpg

The site is in the centre of Nottingham and forms one corner of the large Theatre Square. The shape is a quarter-segment of a circle, and in order to overcome its difficulties, and to take every advantage of the restricted area, it was decided to introduce two ellipses to form the manager's room and the staircase approach to the upper floors.For the same reason a revolving central entrance doorway was introduced, instead of the normal entrance lobby. The ground floor is planned to accommodate three cashiers, with the usual public space, inquiry desk, manager's room and waiting-room. The basement floor contains book room, stationery store, oil fuel heating apparatus and separate cloaks and lavatory accommodation for the manager and clerks.

The first floor is developed as offices to let, with window lighting on the front and back elevations, and the second floor is planned as a self-contained flat for the resident caretaker.The main elevation is treated with a rough Cornish granite plinth, to over­come the sharp falls of the pavement, and above this the design consists of a typical Greek Ionic order, worked in Portland stone. The main entrance doorway and the bank windows are in bronze, and the two small carved plaques with a grey-blue background and gilt infilling represent the ancient Egyptian signs for gold and silver. This room is ceiled with an elliptical dome immediately above the panelled dado, and the whole of the ceiling is floodlit from the cornice.

1932 Nottingham EXTDR.jpg

1932 Nottingham CTR

Images © 1932 The Architects’ Journal

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2147

Sep 1.jpg

Under new  management…

Sep 1.jpg

1946 R usher.jpg Mr R Usher is the new manager of Nottingham Branch. He entered the service of the Bank in 1923, going to the Newcastle District General Manager’s Staff in 1935. He was appointed to be Manager of Market Street Nottingham branch,  on his return from service with H M Forces.

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Look through any window…

1955 01 MBM.jpgThis picture, (right) was taken by a photographer from the Nottingham Guardian Journal and was obtained by photographing the reflection of the scene opposite the branch in the curved window of our Market street branch in Nottingham. We must congratulate our Manager Mr Usher on the cleanliness of his branch windows!

Sep 1.jpg

The view from opposite the branch

Images: © Nottingham Guardian-Journal 1955

We are used to Martins Bank’s Branches fulfilling a whole range of uses in the twenty-first Century, but in the case of Market Street Nottingham we are simply lost for words…  Special thanks to friend of the archive Rob Hancock, who has suplied a number of contemporary images for our “then and now” features in the Branch Network pages of the online Archive…

Image © Barclays Ref 0030-2147 ca. 1960

 

Image © 2013 Rob Hancock

1931 to 1937 Mr F J Lees second man MBM-Su57P48.jpg

1935 to 1940 Mr H R Stone Manager MBM-Au54P47.jpg

1940 to 1954 Mr R S Arrand joined the bank here MBM-Su64P07.jpg

1946 to 1965 Mr R Usher Manager MBM-Wi65P53.jpg

1961 to 1962 Mr CA Bamford MBM-Su66P03.jpg

1964 Mr GA Radcliffe pro Manager MBM-Su64P07.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F J Lees

Branch Second

1931 to 1937

Mr H R Stone

Manager

1935 to 1940

Mr R S Arrand

Joined the Bank Here

1940 to 1954

Mr R Usher

Manager

1946 to 1965

Mr C A Bamford

On the Staff

1961 to 1962

Mr G A Radcliffe

Pro Manager

1964

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1965 Miss JL Erikson Cashier MBM-Sp65P47.jpg

1965 Mr CB Heaton Manager MBM-Wi65P05.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Miss J L Erikson

Cashier

1965

Mr C B Heaton

Manager

1965 onwards

 

 

 

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

St Peter's Gate

Trustee Dept

Basford

Bracebridge Drive

Cattle Market

Marks and Spencer

Clifton Estate

Gedling

Lenton

Mapperley

Meadows

Milton Street

Alfreton Road

25 Chapel Bar

Ilkeston Road

Old Market Square

Ruddington

St Ann's Well Road

Sherwood

Sneinton

15 Victoria Street Foreign

West Bridgford

CO-OPERATIVE WHOLESALE SOCIETY

15 Friar Lane

 

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

1 South Parade

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

Old Market Square

Alfreton Road

Bulwell

Carlton Street

Carrington Street

Chalfont  Drive

Exec & Ttee Dept

District Office

Mansfield Road

Radford Road

Sherwood

Sneinton

Tudor Square

West Bridgford

Wollaton Road

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

33 Market Street

Victoria Street

 

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Victoria Street

Arkwright Street

Aspley

Bulwell

Carlton Hill

Clifton

Daybrook

Park House Friar Lane

Milton Street

Mapperley

16 Long Row

15 Long Row Exor&Ttee

New Basford

Old Basford

Sherwood

Radford

Sneinton

Tudor Square

West Bridgford

Western Boulevard

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK

South Parade

Exchange Walk Trustee

High Street

Basford

Bulwll

Daybrook

General Hospital

Radford

Sherwood

Sherwood Rise

Sneinton

Tudor Square

Walton House Granby Street

West Bridgford

OLD BROAD STREET SECURITIES

Rodney House, Castle Gate

 

SINGER & FRIEDLANDER

38 BrIdlesmith Gate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UNITED DOMINIONS TRUST

25 St James Street

 

 

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

3 Thurland Street

Aspley

Bulwell

Canning Circus

Carrington Street

Lenton

Cattle Market

Friar Lane

Hucknall Road

Hyson Green

Mansfield Road

Mapperley

Market place

New Basford

St Ann's Well Road

Sherwood

Sneinton

4 Trinity Square

University

West Bridgford

WILLIAMS DEACON’S BANK

7 South Parade

Wollaton - 189 Bramcote Lane

Mapperley - 896 Woodborough Road

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

YORKSHIRE BANK LIMITED

43 Clumber Street

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-52-60 Nottingham

Full Branch

33 Market Street Nottingham

580 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Nottingham 44105 / 43115

Nightsafe Installed

C B Heaton Manager

Norton-on-Tees

2 Feb 1931

15 December 1969

11 May 1979

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-63-10 Nottingham Market Street

Closed

Nottingham Victoria Street

M

Sep 1.jpg