Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

image052Sedbergh is a remote and beautiful part of Yorkshire, and even in the twenty-first century, the journey to it is not straightforward. It is almost as if someone had thrown the tarmac into the air, and decided that the carriageway would be defined by the patches that landed. In the depths of Winter only the brave might attempt these roller-coaster roads from Kendal  to the Yorkshire Dales, driving round bends whilst going up or down a sharp rise, and always, always with the low Winter sun directly in your eyes…  This is Martins Bank’s second office in the town, built and first opened for business in 1953.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/2578

 

The Bank previously operated from Evans House, part of the famous and prestigious Sedbergh School.  Martins Bank Magazine visits the branch towards the end of Martins’ life, about a year before the merger with Barclays, and finds customers in a state of mild confusion…

Sep 1.jpg

 

1968 04 MBM.jpgInevitably, situated next door to the Post Office, our branch at Sedbergh receives requests for postage stamps from undiscerning members of the public. One mis­guided soul remarked 'What a marvellous post office; we don't have them like this down south' and another commented on 'the friendly civil servants'. But then Sedbergh is altogether a friendly sort of place. We had not stepped more than a few yards down Main Street (just wide enough for a bus) before we had acknow­ledged greetings from the policeman, a tweed-clad gentleman with a dog, and three small boys.  Sedbergh is a small market town folded into the shelter of the Pennines, giving it protection from the north and east winds so that it enjoys a bracing but not rigorous climate.

Sep 1.jpg

1968 Sedbergh Staff Retouched MBM-Wi68P23

The Sedbergh Staff 1968

1968 Sedbergh Interior BGA Ref 30-2878

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/2578

Sep 1.jpg

A signpost tucked into a hedge on the road from Kirkby Lonsdale tells you that you have arrived but, apart from the tower of St Andrews Church standing above the trees, there is little to be seen of the town.  And what of its famous school? This too is blended into the landscape, its buildings widely dispersed and woven into the fabric of Sedbergh. Founded in 1525 it has become one of the most important schools in the north of England.  It is perhaps significant that the school and Martins, both with four centuries of tradi­tion, should have an association going back many years through the early Kendal bankers, Maude Wilson & Crewdson. And before our present office was built some fifteen years ago the branch was located in Evans House, one of the school buildings.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1943 to 1957 Mr FR Alston MBM-Wi67P01.jpg

1950 to 1954 Mr GR Dolman  MBM-Wi67P06.jpg

1954 to 1964 Mr D W Adam Manager MBM-Sp65P56.jpg

1964 onwards Mr J S Pearson Manager MBM-Sp64P08.jpg

1968 Colin Armistead MBM-Wi68P23.jpg

1968 Joyce Mason Staff MBM-Wi68P23.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F R Alston

On the Staff

1943 to 1957

Mr G R Dolman

On the Staff

1950 to 1954

Mr W D Adam

Manager

1954 to 1964

Mr J S Pearson

Manager

1964 Onwards

Colin Armistead

On the Staff

1968

Joyce Mason

On the Staff

1968

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1968 Ronald Emmerson MBM-Wi68P23.jpg

1968 Janice Harper MBM-Wi68P23.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Ronald Emmerson

On the Staff

1968

Janice Harper

On the Staff

1968

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-61-70 Sedbergh

Main Street

28 Main Street Sedbergh Yorkshire

220 Northern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Sedbergh 212

Nightsafe Installed

J S Pearson Manager

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-61-70 DENT

Pre 1953

1953

15 December 1969

13 February 2015

Branch operated at Evans House, Sedbergh School

New Branch opened in Main Street

Barclays Bank Limited 20-76-28 Sedbergh

Closed at 12 Noon

Gutinfo.jpg