Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

 

image056From Hotel, to Bank, to Public House…

When the site of the former Bedford Corner Hotel at Tottenham Court Road becomes available, Martins Bank’s architects swing into action designing a new branch that befits this prime and imposing site.  Celebrated designer Sax Shaw is commissioned to produce a tapestry for display inside the branch.

Sep 1.jpg

1955 London 236 Tottenham Court Road exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-2958

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/2958

 

You can read more about this in the magazine article below. At the same time Robert and Christopher Ironside (the latter being the designer of the original 10p piece) set to work to design and affix Martins coat of arms to the grained green granite outside…

Sep 1.jpg

1955 London 236 Tottenham Court Road exterior 1 BGA Ref 30-2958

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/2958

Sep 1.jpg

Tottenham Court Road is considered a suitable long term option for Barclays, who operate the branch from the 1969 merger until the end of 1990. Nowadays it has gone the way of many others in being an ideal site for a pub.  Martins Bank Magazine pays the branch a visit in 1956, when it is less than a year old, and is keen to point out just how much admiration the building excites amongst the locals…

Sep 1.jpg

‘Ordinary Folk’- away from the gangs and vice of Soho…

Sep 1.jpg

1956 03Less than ten minutes' walk away from Garrick Street lies our new branch at Tottenham Court Road, but a whole world away in atmosphere and setting. Here we are between the stately squares which contain London University and the British Museum, and the colourful quarter of Soho. On the one hand you are in Bloomsbury, haunt of students and tourists, with its many hotels of popular price mingling with the atmosphere of learning, and on the other hand you are among the theatrical folk, or in the quarter of fashionable foreign restaurants, with just that suggestion of background shadow —gangs and haunts of vice—to heighten the interest when one walks through its well-known streets. But it is all very respectable for ordinary folk, whether by day or night.

Sep 1.jpg

1956 Tottenham Court Road Interior MBM-Au56P08.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Our branch occupies an excellent corner site and excites much admiration, both on account of the attractive and distinctive grained green granite stonework and the handsome coat-of-arms, designed by Robin and Christopher Ironside, which surmounts the entrance. Inside, the eye is instantly drawn to the magnificent tapestry which hangs on the wall of the customers' space facing the entrance. The design depicts certain prominent landmarks in the Bloomsbury area, and Sax Shaw, the designer, has created a real work of art.  The architects, Bridgwater and Shepheard, have made of the interior a general ensemble which is a model for bank buildings of this type. The wooden panelling in mottled English oak veneer, the manager's desk built of walnut and made as a permanent fixture, the tasteful lighting, and not least the pictures on the walls, give an impression of restful good taste without undue ostentation which is instantly pleasing. The pictures, both in water colour, depict respectively Lord's Cricket Ground and a river steamer passing the Tower of London.

Sep 1.jpg

The artist is Edwin la Dell. The floor of the banking hall is in Belgian fossil and Mazano marble and the columns are faced with Ashburton marble. The counter top and the desks are in Australian black bean, and the counter front is in walnut with a strip of Macassar ebony under the counter top. Mr. E. J. A. Salmon is the Manager and this is his first experience of a small branch. From 1928 until 1951 he was at 68 Lombard Street in various departments and in various capacities. He then became a signing officer. In 1954 he was appointed Assistant Manager at Fenchurch Street and he opened the new branch the following year. Mr. S. G. C. Hall, his second-in-command, has moved about the London District quite a bit and has been at 68 Lombard Street, Sloane Square, Southall, Oxford Circus and on District Office relief. Mr. J. L. Pearson entered the Bank at Reading, serving there until last year when he went on District Office Relief for six months until going to Tottenham Court Road.  The lady in our photograph, Miss J. Holbourn, is no longer in the Bank and her place has been taken by Miss J. S. Scott.   We concluded our visit by entertaining Mr. and Mrs. Salmon to lunch at a pre-selected haunt and proved to our satisfaction that in this district by no means all the best places are in Soho.

Sep 1.jpg

1955 London 236 Tottenham Court Road interior 5 BGA Ref 30-2958

Images © Barclays Ref 30-2958

 

1955 London 236 Tottenham Court Road interior 3 BGA Ref 30-2958

1955 London 236 Tottenham Court Road interior 6 BGA Ref 30-2958

1955 London 236 Tottenham Court Road interior 4 BGA Ref 30-2958

…Some views in front of, and behind the scenes: A sense of space, plush furnisihings, and Marbled pillars…  

Sep 1.jpg

1954 to 1960 E J A Salmon Manager MBM-Su65P08.jpg

1955 to 1955 Mr R Pennington MBM-Au66P02.jpg

1956 Miss J Holbourn MBM-Au56P06.jpg

1956 Mr J L Pearson MBM-Au56P06.jpg

1956 Mr S G C Hall MBM-Au56P06.jpg

1960 onwards Mr W F Ardley Manager MBM-Su69P56

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr E J A Salmon

Manager

1954 to 1960

Mr R Pennington

On the Staff

1955 to 1955

Miss J Holbourn

On the Staff

1956

Mr J L Pearson

On the Staff

1956

Mr S G C Hall

On the Staff

1956

Mr W F Ardley

Manager

1960 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1962 to 1967 Mr K A Clark Limited Authority MBM-Wi67P05.jpg

1967 Mr KS Laythorn pro Manager MBM-Wi67P05.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr K A Clark

Limited Authority

1962 to 1967

Mr K S Laythorn

Pro Manager

1967

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-61-80 London Tottenham Court Road

Full Branch

236 Tottenham Court Rd London W1

468 London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Telephone: 01 636 0163

Nightsafe Installed

Mr W F Ardley Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Automated Branch

Tottenham Court Road Branch is included in Martins Bank’s London Account Number Allocation, where Branches due for automation are given “significant digits” to identify them by account numbers issued. The Branch will be identified by the significant digits 47 when its daily work is processed at the London Computer Centre.

Sep 1.jpg

1955

15 December 1969

23 November 1990

Currently

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-87-28 236 Tottenham Court Road

Closed

Public House

Gutinfo.jpg