Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool

Sep 1.jpg

A branch of the Bank of Liverpool opens at 10 Liverpool Road Birkdale on 1 June 1894.  It is the first branch of the bank to be opend outside Liverpool, but still within Lancashire.  Maybe it resembles something from a Brothers Grimm fairy tale, or is it perhaps a little too grand? – but no, Birkdale is the home, after all, of a Royal Golf Club, so perhaps this Martins Bank Branch needs to stand out from the crowd. 

Sep 1.jpg

It certainly does that, but we’d rather have a hundred such buildings than set foot in some of the twenty-first century eyesores that pass for modern day bank branches, whose teenage tellers are only able to do business when the computer says “yes” and whose greyness fades anonymously into the background of the soulless shopping centres they inhabit…

Sep 1.jpg

1950 ish Birkdale Exterior view of front of building and three trees BGA Ref 30-2732

Image © Barclays Ref 30/2732

Sep 1.jpg

Footballers, golfers, in fact any passing celebrity (and there are plenty in this part of the world) cannot fail to be wowed by the sumptuous wood panelling and the distinguished air that oozes from every inch of this classic banking hall!

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 30/2732

Sep 1.jpg

One of the last members of Martins Bank staff to retire before the merger with Barclays, is Mr J H Walker, who by June 1969 has clocked up an amazing forty-SIX years with the bank.  In something of a cricket themed send off, Martins Bank Magazine follows the festivities for us, in its Autumn 1969 edition…

Sep 1.jpg

1966 to 1969 Mr J H Walker Manager MBM-Au69P56.jpg1969 03.jpgWhen the stumps were drawn at Birkdale Branch on June 28, Mr J H Walker, the retiring Manager, entertained about fifty of his colleaguesto a buffet at the Southport and Birkdale Cricket Club where he is a dedicated member.  Making the presentation on behalf of the many subscribers, Mr Ian Buchanan remarked that Mr Walker’s branches had always been considered an ideal training ground for staff.  Famed too was his early morning philosophising which had become a feature of the branch routine. He was an L&Y man, having joined the Lancashire and Yorkshire bank as long ago as 1923 at Withy Grove and was thyus retiring after foty-six years’ service.  He took up his first appointment in 1935 as Clerk in Charge at New Mills and after war service with the R A F returned to the Manchester District.  In 1950 he went to Newport and a year later transferred to the Liverpool District.  He was appointed Manager at Scotland Road in 1957, at Myrtle Street two years later and finally at Birkdale in 1966. In his reply Mr Walker spoke of the excellent spirit of the Liverpool District, and thanked his staff for their loyalty and his second men for their support.  With the cheque he intended to buy a motor mower.  Mrs Walker was presented with a boueuqt by Mrs D Marsh.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1912 to 1913 Mr W H Rogers MBM-Su52P54.jpg

1926 to 1934 Mr R B Thompson Manager MBM-Au54P48.jpg

1929 to 1932 Mr J H Thomas MBM-Sp64P56.jpg

1934 to 1935 Mr G H Shepherd Manager MBM-Su55P50.jpg

1935 to 1936 Mr F Roberts joined the bank here MBM-Su64P05.jpg

1935 to 1946 Mr G Hollows Manager Birkdale and Ainsdale MBM-Wi58P54.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr W H Rogers

On the Staff

1912 to 1913

Mr R B Thompson

Manager

1926 to 1934

Mr J H Thomas

On the Staff

1929 to 1932

Mr G H Shepherd

Manager

1934 to 1935

Mr F Roberts

Joined the Bank Here

1935 to 1936

Mr G Hollows

Manager

1935 to 1947

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1938 to 1940 Mr G Barnes 1969 Manager MBM-Sp65P04.jpg

1940 Miss M A Betts joined the bank here MBM-Su69P62.jpg

1942 to 1947 Miss H M Buckley MBM-Sp68P09.jpg

1947 to 1959 Mr A S Jopling Manager MBM-Wi65P02.jpg

1951 to 1952 Mr J T Barnes joined the bank here MBM-Sp69P07.jpg

1959 to 1966 Mr Eric S Sexton Manager MBM-Au54P18.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr G Barnes

On the Staff 1938 to 1940

Manager 1969 onwards

Miss M A Betts

Joined the Bank Here

1940

Miss H M Buckley

On the Staff

1942 to 1947

Mr A S Jopling

Manager

1947 to 1959

Mr J T Barnes

Joined the Bank Here

1951 to 1952

Mr Eric S Sexton

Manager

1959 to 1966

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1966 to 1969 Mr J H Walker Manager MBM-Au69P56.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J H Walker

Manager

1966 to 1969

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

WILLIAMS DEACON’S BANK

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-73-00 Southport Birkdale

Full Branch

19 Liverpool Road Birkdale Southport  Lancashire

4 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Southport 66856

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J H Walker Manager

Sep 1.jpg

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-73-00 SOUTHPORT HILLSIDE

 

1 June 1894

to 1910 approx

1918

1928

15 December 1969

26 June 2015

opened by the Bank of Liverpool and operated at one or more temporary

premises until approximately 1910 then at 19 Liverpool Road

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-80-31 Southport Birkdale

Branch closed permanently from 12 Noon

Gutinfo.jpg