Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool

Sep 1.jpg

In 1884 the Bank of Liverpool opens a Branch at 30, then 48 Church Street.  For the next sixty two years it is known as Liverpool Central.  In 1933 the properties on Church Street are renumbered, and in 1946 following the departure of Manager Mr Drewsen, whose retirement write-up forms one of our features below, the Branch becomes known officially as Church Street Branch.  This office is ideally placed to be the first branch of ANY bank in the North of England to be fitted with a cash machine. This takes place in 1967, and the type of dispenser used is the first in the world to use a plastic card and Personal identification Number (PIN). 

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Auto Cashier(1) MBM-Wi67P12You can read more about this amazing Martins first, and how it is announced to the local press HERE. At first this innovation is seen very much as a curiosity – the idea that a machine might replace a bank cashier is still almost science fiction.   What follows, as we all now know is the gradual replacement of whole bank branches by machines and remote services including the internet.   Images of the cash dispenser are few and far between, but you can see the exact model used being demonstrated in a wonderfully preserved film made in 1969 by ABC NEWS AUSTRALIA, who also seem to treat the idea of a cash machine with curiosity and some scepticism…

 

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1664

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

At the time of the merger with Barclays, Martins has opened three cash machines, and has plans for many more, but all of them are scrapped and replaced by “Barclaycash” machines.  Extra machines are installed to cope with the closure of Branches on Saturday mornings.

Sep 1.jpg

The Branch that “moved about” - a lot

Sep 1.jpg

In what seems an incedible feat of dexterity, Liverpool Central/Church Street Branch manages to appear in offcial records and directories at no less than FIVE different addresses between 1884 and 1933. 30 Church Street is likely to have been a temporary address used to establish the new Branch of the Bank of Liverpool in 1884, whilst permanent premises at 50 Church Street were either being built or refurbished.  However, two different directories of Liverpool, and the Liverpool Telephone directory place the branch at No 46, Nos 46-48, No 48 AND No 50 until in August 1933 the properties in Church Street are re-numbered, and the Branch finally settles down at No 84!  You can read more about this in our Branch History Section at the foot of this page.

Sep 1.jpg

There is no official visit to Church Street Branch by Martins Bank Magazine, but we have found featured two articles: Originally entitled  “Celebrities at the Counter”, this first one is very short and concerns a customer paying in some winnings at Church Street Counter in 1960…

Sep 1.jpg

1960 02 MBM.jpgWendy Lewis and her sister Joy at the counter of our Church Street branch, Liverpool, paying in her winner's cheque to Mr. R. T. Forsyth shortly after the conclusion of Wendy's successful walk from John O'Groats to Lands End.

A “Joy”–ous occasion at Church Street Branch…

Sep 1.jpg

1946 02 MBM.jpg1934 to 1946 Mr J B Drewsen Manager MBM-Su46P18A large gathering numbering close on fifty present and former colleagues gathered at Central Branch at the close of business on 29 April to bid farewell to Mr J B Drewsen on his retirement after forty-nine years’ service with the bank.  Speeches of tribute were made by Messrs. G O Papworth and T A Johnson, Assistant General Managers, and Mr R H Price Assistant Staff Manager.  Mr Papworth then made the presentation on behalf of all subscribers of a tea service to Mrs Drewsen.  The present of a fishing cabinet to Mr Drewsen was a token one, the actual gift not being rady.  Among those present were Messrs. C P Williams, J Edwards, A H Nutt, W E Elliott, R G Kilshaw, F A Dew, J E Gorst, R C Wilding and Miss Ida Woolley.  Apologies for unavoidable absence were received from Messrs A M Jones, D D Lynch, H Dickman, H F Herbert, G Beckett and many others.  Mr Drewsen entered the service of the bank at head Office in 1899, and received his first appointment to Manager at West Derby branch in 1910.  He became an Inspector in 1921, and went as assistant manager to Central Branch in 1933, becoming Manager the following year…

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

1904 to 1910 Mr F H Creer joined the service here MBM-Su47P28.jpg

1907 Mr A J Wilson joined the bank here MBM-Au51P38.jpg

1916 Mr A D Moncreiff joined the bank here MBM-Wi64P51.jpg

1916 Mr H Shimmin joined the bank here MBM-Su60P53.jpg

1916 Mr W D Armstrong MBM-Wi51P35.jpg

1920 to 1923 Alec R Ellis joined the service here MBM-Sp48P30.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F H Creer

Joined the Bank Here

1906 to 1910

Mr A J Wilson 

Joined the Bank Here

1907

Mr A D Moncreiff

Joined the Bank Here

1916

Mr A H Shimmin

Joined the Bank Here

1916

Mr W D Armstrong

On the Staff

1916

Mr Alec R Ellis

Joined the Bank Here

1920 to 1923

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1920 to 1925 Mr J V Dobie Securities MBM-Au57P54.jpg

1920 to 1927 Mr S J Johnson joined the bank here MBM-Sp65P52.jpg

1921 to 1931 Mr W H Rogers MBM-Su52P54.jpg

1924 to 1926 approx Mr S N Abraham MBM-Su64P53.jpg

1934 to 1946 Mr J B Drewsen Manager MBM-Su46P18.jpg

1935 to 1937 Mr E J F Crawford MBM-Su67P07.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J V Dobie

Securities

1920 to 1925

Mr S J Johnson

Joined the Bank Here

1920 toi 1927

Mr W H Rogers

On the Staff

1920 to 1931

Mr S N Abraham

On the Staff

1924 to 1926

Mr J B Drewsen

Manager

1934 to 1946

Mr E J F Crawford

On the Staff

1935 to 1937

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1937 to 1948 Mr D D Staunton joined the bank here MBM-Wi67P05.jpg

1945 to 1946 Mr R H Naylor joined the bank here MBM-Wi67P04.jpg

1946 to 1947 Mr B Woods MBM-Au68P08.jpg

1946 to 1947 Mr B G McCausland Pro Manager MBM-Sp58P47.jpg

1947 to 1949 Mr R L Couper Pro Manager MBM-Wi65P03.jpg

1949 to 1955 Mr J Gribbin Manager MBM-Su67P60.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr D D Staunton

Joined the Bank Here

1937 to 1938

Mr R H Naylor

Joined the Bank Here

1945 to 1946

Mr B Woods

On the Staff

1946 to 1947

Mr B G McCausland

Pro Manager

1946 to 1947

Mr R L Couper

Pro Manager

1947 to 1949

Mr J Gribbin

Manager

1949 to 1953

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1949 to 1963 Mr B Bithell Asst then Manager from 1958 MBM-Su63P04.jpg

1953 to 1954 Mr K L Roberts MBM-Sp64P06.jpg

1953 to 1955 Mr J K Washington Manager MBM-Au60P48.jpg

1955 to 1958 Mr A D Gollifer Manager MBM-Su58P25.jpg

1957 to 1962 Mr K W T Crowden  MBM-Au69P11.jpg

1958 to 1959 Mr F P Wilson MBM-Au64P06.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

Mr B Bithell

Asst Manager 1949-58

Manager 1958 to 1963

Mr K L Roberts

On the Staff

1953 to 1964

Mr J K Washington

Manager

1953 to 1955

Mr A D Gollifer

Manager

1955 to 1958

Mr K W T Crowden

On the Staff

1957 to 1962

Mr F P Wilson

On the Staff

1958 to 1959

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1959 to 1964 Mr K Bonney Pro Manager MBM-Sp64P05.jpg

1962 to 1965 Mr JM Lee Pro Manager MBM-Sp65P04.jpg

1964 Mr RF Creer Assistant Manager MBM-Sp64P07.jpg

1965 Mr TT Williams pro Manager MBM-Sp65P05.jpg

1965 to 1966 Mr JD Winckles Assistant Manager MBM-Au65P04.jpg

1966 Cynthia Corner Cashier MBM-Wi66P51.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr K Bonney

Pro Manager

1959 to 1964

Mr J M Lee

Pro Manager

1962 to 1965

Mr R F Creer

Assistant Manager

1964

Mr T T Wiliams

Pro Manager

1965

Mr J D Winckles

Assistant Manager

1965 to 1966

Cynthia Corner

Cashier

1966

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1966 to 1967 Mr CM Summersgill Assistant Manager MBM-Au66P07.jpg

1968 Mr WD Ambrose Assistant Manager MBM-Sp68P04.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr C M Summersgill

Assistannt Manager

1966 to 1967

Mr W D Ambrose

Assistant Manager

1968

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-83-20 Liverpool Church Street

Full Branch

84 Church Street Liverpool Lancashire

9 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

ROYal 4537

Martins Auto Cashier and Night Safe Installed

R W Jardine Manager

01 December 1884

1890

1894

1900

1900

19 May 1915

 

1918 to 1932

08 August 1933

1946

15 December 1969

21 October 1991

25 October 1991

Branch opened at 30 Church Street

Kelly’s Directory of Liverpool – 48 Church Street

Kelly’s Directory of Liverpool – 48 Church Street

Gore’s Directory of Liverpool– 46 Church Street

Liverpool Telephone Directory – 46 AND 48 Church Street

Bank of Liverpool Minutes Acc 622/1:, refers to the Bank’s

“new” building (50 Church Street) and their “old” building (48 church Street).

Bank of Liverpool & Martins / Martins Bank Reports and Accounts – 50 Church Street

Premises re-numbered and now known as No 84.

Name Changed from Central to Church Street Branch

Barclays Bank Lmited 20-50-72 Liverpool 84 Church Street

Name Changed to Whitechapel

84 Church Street Closed and business relocated to 9/11 Whitechapel

Currently

 

Special thanks to Barclays Group Archives, Ancestry.co.uk

and the University of Leicester Special Collections

for their help “untangling” this history.

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg