Sep 1.jpg

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Sep 1.jpg

Seaside Postcard.jpgThe Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank opens its Branch at Bispham in 1923, another “corner shop” affair that guards the Northern gates to the Bank’s Blackpool kingdom.  The branch is amongst those kept open during World War II when women clerks in charge look after the business whilst the men were away fighting for King and Country.  Bispham is lucky enough to remain open beyond the merger, and shuts its doors for the final time in 1987.  The longest surviving Blackpool Branch of Martins Bank is Whitegate Drive, which stayed open after the 1969 merger as a Branch of Barclays until 25 September 2015.  Martins’ kingdom amongst ice-cream and donkey rides has now sadly passed in history…

 

Sep 1.jpg

1969 Bispham Exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-272 

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/0272

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 0033/0272

Sep 1.jpg

Bispham sub-Branch was opened in 1923 by Mr C W Aked, who apart from three year’s War Service, during which the office was maintained by Mrs Norah Towers, ran the place for thirty years until his retirement on 31 March 1953.  As ever, Martins Bank Magazine was there to record the retirement festivities, which were held also to mark the retirement of Blackpool Branch Accountant, Mr E Barlow…

Sep 1.jpg

On the afternoon of 31 March, the staff of Blackpool Branch gathered together to pay tribute to Mr E Barlow, Accountant, and to Mr C W Aked, Clerk in Charge at Bispham Office, who were both entering their retirement and to wish them both many years of good health and happy leisure.  Mr Aked had completed forty-seven years in the service of the Bank, and the Halifax Equitable Bank and had opened Bispham sub-Branch in 1923 becoming quite an institution in the Village during his years there. As a reminder of his banking days, he had chosen a travlling alarm clock suitably engraved, and Mr Sharples (Manager, Blackpool) expressed the wish that he would “tick on” for many years to come. both Mr Barlow and Mr Aked expressed their sincere thanks and referred to the happy years and the many friendships they had enjoyed during their periods of service.

Sep 1.jpg

Bispham in colour…

Sep 1.jpg

We are most grateful to Steve Palmer, whose atmospheric images of the Blackpool area appear in his book “Blackpool and Fleetwood, 100 Years by Tram” (Platform 6 Publishing Ltd.,1998), and who kindly provided us with this 1960s colour image of Martins Bank’s Branch at Bispham.  Colour pictures of Martins Branches are relatively rare, and it is always interesting to see just how well they bring to life specific periods in our history.  Apart from the old road signs, and the glimpse of overhead tram cables, this picture gives little else away about when it was actually taken. It certainly adds to that nostalgic yearning for those times within living memory when everything seemed much less brash and impersonal than the huge out of town shopping “experiences” of the twenty-first Century.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1943 to 1946 Miss Nora L Towers Clerk in Charge MBM-Sp47P25.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr C W Aked

Clerk in Charge

1923 to 1953

Miss Norah L Towers

Wartime Clerk in Charge

1943 to 1946

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

Red Bank Road

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

71 Red Bank Road

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

All Hallows Road

38 Red Bank Road

WILLIAMS DEACON’S BANK

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-85-02 Blackpool Bispham

Sub to 11-85-02 Blackpool

71 Red Bank Road Bispham Lancashire

711 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Blackpool 51757

No Nightsafe

Mr C H Jones Manager

Sep 1.jpg

1923

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

28 June 1987

Currently

opened by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-10-09 Blackpool Clifton Street

Closed

Taxi Service

Gutinfo.jpgx