Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens Aspatria as a sub branch to Wigton in 1921.  The branch opens once a week on a Wednesday, and additionally on days when trading takes place at the local Auction Mart.  Aspatria remains open for fourteen years before being amongst a number of branches to be closed as part of Martins Bank’s first consolidation of its Branch Portfolio which takes place between 1931 and 1935.  A similar fate befalls two other sub branches to Wigton, at Caldbeck (1932) and Hesket New Market (1932), leaving Wigton a standalone branch from then on. 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays 1935

 

Extract from the Annual Report and Accounts of the

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited, 1921 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

Aspatria.jpg     1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

It is interesting to note that these tiny offices represent an early expansion by the bank, which has to be curtailed or reined back in order to pay for the construction of the new HEAD OFFICE in liverpool, and for THE REBUILDING OF 68 LOMBARD STREET, both of which take place in the early 1930s…

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-881 Aspatria

Sub to 11-881 Wigton

Market Square Aspatria Cumberland

222 Northern

Wednesdays 10am to 4pm

Auction Days 10am to 3pm

No telephone

Counter service Only

Mr J H Addison Manager (Wigton)

Sep 1.jpg

12 October 1921

3 January 1928

14 June 1935

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpgx