Sep 1.jpg

HOME

 

WELCOME

 

NEWS

 

BRANCHES

 

GRASSHOPPERS

 

LEWIS�S BANK

 

CONTACT US

 

SITE MENU

Martins Bank Branches in sussex

In Service: 2 March 1939 until 2 December 1940

Image � Martins Bank Archive Collections

Advertisement remastered May 2019

from original advertising copy

Martins Bank�s Bexhill on Sea branch occupies no less than FOUR separate addresses during its lifetime -This advertisement heralds the opening of the first of these, in premises at 45 Devonshire Road. When a large part of the civilian population of Bexhill is evacuated following the fall of France in 1940, the branch closes down and business is transferred on a temporary basis to Eastbourne Branch until the end of the War.Service resumes in Bexhill on 1 May 1946 a little further down Devonshire Road at No 18, moving to a fourth (and temporary) location � 18 Parkhurst Road � in 1961, to allow for refurbishment at Devonshire Road. In his 1984 booklet �Martins Bank Branches in Sussex�, former Martins Colleague Alan Hill provides invaluable information about the Bank�s presence on the South Coast.What is now largely forgotton, is that Martins Southern expansion often involves taking temporary premises � in order to begin building a customer base � whilst sites for the establishment of permanent branches can be found.�� You can read more about the Bank�s Sussex pioneers HERE.

1939 to 1941 Mr S E Pearman Manager MBM-Wi62P51.jpg

Mr S E Pearman

Manager

1939 to 1941

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-072 Bexhill on Sea

Temporary Branch

45 Devonshire Street Bexhill on Sea Sussex

449 London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Bexhill-on-Sea 2488/9

Counter ServiceOnly

Mr S E Pearman

 

Sep 1.jpg

Besses o�th� Barn (Whitefield)

2 March 1939

2 December 1940

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Business tranfers to 23 Seaside Road Eastbourne

Bexhill-on-Sea 18 Parkhurst Road

 

M

Sep 1.jpg