Sep 1.jpg

HOME

 

WELCOME

 

NEWS

 

BRANCHES

 

GRASSHOPPERS

 

LEWISíS BANK

 

CONTACT US

 

SITE MENU

Before the amalgamation in 1914 of the Bank of Liverpool with Martinís Private Bank, the influence of the Grasshopper was felt through the presence of the Head Office at 68 Lombard Street London, and the branch offices of the bank scattered mainly across the far South-East of England Ė Kent, and a few outposts in Sussex.There is little evidence of any kind of large-scale expansion before the mergers that took place between 1914 and 1928 to create the modern-day Martins Bank, with its national network of branches and departments. However, (and for reasons which are not clear to us), Martinís Bank opens a new branch at Euston Road, London in 1909.

In Service: 1909 until 25 December 1911

Image © Barclays Ref 0009-0948

Thanks once again to the existence of the Architectural review, Barclays holds this photograph of the branch which was published in its July 1909 issue. Barclays also holds letters which show that the Bank requested that its lease on the building be terminated as at Christmas Day 1911.The reasons for this are not clear at the moment Ė the Coronavirus Pandemic has impacted on the speed with which Barclays Group Archives is able to deal with queries and investigate papers and other artifacts. As soon as we have further imformation, it will be added to this page.

Title:

Type:

Address:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

London Euston Road

Full Branch

182 Euston Road London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

CENtral 0641/3

Counter

Sep 1.jpg

London Elephant and Castle

1909

25 December 1911

Opened by Martinís Bank Limited

Closed

London 22 Fenchurch Street

 

M