By 1920, The Bank of Liverpool and Martins - now fully
embarked on its quest to become a truly national presence - is looking
for banks with which it can amalgamate, preferrably those that have large
numbers of branches and that are based in major towns and cities. In Yorkshire, it is a little late for them
to be able to take their pick, as many of the desirable banks there, have
already been swallowed by others. The Halifax Commercial Bank is not, on the
face of it what the Bank of Liverpool and Martins has been looking for, but
the Halifax has opened a number of branches in key areas in (and beyond)
Halifax which will provide useful outlets for the Bank of Liverpool and
Martins. Castleford is opened in 1901,
and this atmospheric image of the branch, although taken in 1954 looks like
time has stood still since at least 1920.
In Service: 1901 until 10 November 1972
Image © Barclays Ref 0030-0573
Our features below concern the retirement in 1960 of Mr A
H Sutcliffe, and, from Martins Bank Magazine’s 1966 tour of the Calder
Valley, Castleford is amongst those Branches in Martins’ Leeds District to be
paid a somewhat fleeting visit…
On the occasion of the retirement
of Mr A H Sutcliffe after forty-four years’ service he entertained the
members of his staff to dinner at a local hotel. Before the dinner there was a short
function at which Mr D B W Edwards, a member of the staff at Castleford, made
the presentation to Mr and Mrs Sutcliffe on behalf of past and present
colleagues of a clock and some sherry glasses. Subsequent to his retirement, Mr Sutcliffe
was enetertained in Leeds by the District General Management. He Entered the Lancashire
and Yorkshire Bank in 1916 and from 1923 to 1938 he was at Sowerby Bridge. In 1938 he was appointed Manager at
Wakefield and his appointment as Manager at Castleford came ten years later.
The dark enclosure into which we were ushered by Mr Douglas was not the waiting room as we had imagined, but the Manager’s room. The door we had wrongly thought would lead on to that sanctum revealed a broom cupboard. Outside these claustrophobic confines, we met three delightful girls in pale blue pinafores, who, with the other two men on the staff, manage to cope in surroundings which defy description and about which it would be most unfair to write in detail because, we were assured, “something is being done about it”.
1901 there has been a business in Castleford which is still primarily a one
street coal town, but the shops are snapped up by the multiples the minute
they become vacant, there is plenty of money about, and a car left standing
for an hour acquires a coat of solid grime.
All the roads around are liable to subsidence and just north of the
town the Calder ends when it joins the River Aire. After lunch with Mr Douglas, a cricketer of
note and now an ardent league fan, we took a final look at the area.