Halifax Commercial Bank merges with the Bank of Liverpool, and another useful
batch of Yorkshire branches comes into the possession of Martins Bank. Even before the major amalgamation with the
Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank which will create the name of Martins Bank, the
Bank of Liverpool and Martins has amassed a large number of full and
sub-Branches in both counties. Low
Moor – sub-Branch to Wyke - is one of those branches, and in 1919 its name is
immortalised on the Halifax Commercial Bank’s £5 note. Just a year before
merging, the Halifax proudly displays the names of its offices on the outer
These include the towns of Brighouse,
Bradford, Hull, Leeds, Hipperholme, Mytholmroyd, Castleford, Dewsbury,
Pontefract and, of course, Low Moor.
In the 1960s Low Moor opens
six days a week for a few hours, a pattern typical of many of Martins’ non
self accounting branches, whose existence is dictated mainly by the day to
day banking needs of local shops and businesses.
Image © Martins Bank
This Halifax Commercial Banking Company paying in slip dates
from the 1910s, and was specifically printed for use at the Brighouse Branch.
1901 until 20 November 1992
Image © Barclays Ref
Image © Barclays Ref 00300-/1749