The Bank of Liverpool and
Martins acquires premises from which to operate a second branch at Hull in
1926, just one year before merging with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins.
After little more than another year, Hull Newland is opened as sub branch,
with Whitefriargate acting as Parent Branch. Although Newland is never quite
busy enough to be a self accounting sub branch, it does have an ace up its
sleeve, being situated not far from the University.
Extracts from the Bank
of Liverpool and Martins
Annual Report and
Accounts for 1927 © Barclays
Image © BT 1959
This means business is brisk
enough for this office to open full banking hours, across each day of the
banking week. With the next merger
looming in 1969, Newland branch is surplus to Barclays’ needs, as they
already have a larger and better appointed branch in the area. Newland has a run of forty two years
before it is closed down.
13 July 1927 until 12 December 1969
Hull Daily Mail 15 July 1927
Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image
created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
Image reproduced with kind permission of The
British Newspaper Archive