The Carlisle and Cumberland Bank merges with the Bank
of Liverpool in 1911, and Cockermouth is one of the inherited branches
destined to become part of Martins. This particularly evocative scene shows
the Bank’s Cockermouth Branch at its
best the 1960s.
The interiors of the Branch are also brought vividly
to life below by some rare colour images, although this was still the “dark
wood” period when the Bank seemed to favour impossibly dark interiors which
then required lots of electric lighting – obviously a time of cheap domestic
fuel tariffs! Positions at the heart
of Cockermouth’s Main Street, the Branch easily surives the merger with
Barclays in 1969, and despite extensive flood damage in 2009, remains open
for business today.
Pre 1911 until 17 January 2025
Image © Barclays Ref:
was THIS big! (No, really, it
Working for Martins Bank can
make you feel like a big fish in a small pond, but sometimes the tables can
be turned, as we learn in this fishy tale from 1950…
photograph is of Mr. R. S. Sedgwick (Cockermouth Branch) and his 12lb. sea
trout, the biggest sea trout ever taken from the Cumberland Derwent. He
landed the fish on fly, size eight hook, from The Cradles, on the Derwent, eight miles from the sea, after a
40-minutes tussle at midnight on Friday, July 14th. The length of the fish is
31 inches, and its circumference above the dorsal fin 16 inches. Mr. Sedgwick
is treasurer of the Cockermouth Anglers' Association, and a member of the
River Derwent Board of Conservators. An old boy of Sedbergh School, he is a
native of Westmorland, and is well-known in Lancaster and Penrith. He is also
popular in Cumberland Rugby Union, a former forward and an officer of
Penrith R.U.F.C., and is now on the committee of the Cockermouth R.U.F.C.
oldest visitor to the Cockermouth Agricultural Society’s Show, was Mr J B
Ellwood, who is over 92 years of age.
Mr Ellwood is also the oldest customer of Martins Bank in the
district, and one of his first calls on the showfield was at the MOBILE BRANCH,
where he signed the visitors’ book.
With Mr Ellwood are (left to right):
Mr J C Watson, incharge of the Mobile Branch; Mr R S Sedgwick and Miss
Heather Mallinson of Cockermouth Branch, and Mr Ellwood’s son, Mr J W
we mark the retirement through ill-health of Cockermouth Manager Mr G M Park,
who has served the Bank for nearly forty years, and bows out gracefully in
the Autumn of 1955…
the end of July Mr. G. M. Park retired after nearly 40 years' service, a
career terminated a little earlier than usual as Mr. Park's health has not
been too good latterly. On the day of his
retirement Mr. and Mrs. Park entertained the staff of Cockermouth branch to
tea in their home and during the course of the proceedings an informal
presentation was made of books for Mr. Park and of a bouquet for Mrs. Park.
Mr. Park commenced his service in December, 1915
at Millom. He served during the First World War from 1918-1919, returning to
Millom. In 1928 he went to Dalton where he was appointed Pro Manager in 1933.
Acting Manager in 1942 and Manager in 1946. He was made Manager at
Cockermouth in 1951. Mr. Park intends to
spend his retirement in Cockermouth where he is having a bungalow built and
we in Head Office who specially remember his pleasant contributions to our
annual entertainment at the Northern District dinners join our colleagues of
the Northern District in wishing him well in his retirement and a speedy
return to good health.