Bradford Great Horton Branch comes to Martins Bank
through the amalgamation of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins and the Halifax
Equitable Bank (re-named the Equitable Bank) in 1927.
Great Horton is one of many of Martins smaller
Branches to have benefitted from the stewardship of one of an “army” of
female clerks who stood in as Managers and Clerks in Charge during the Second
World War – Mrs D Bentley (see Staff Gallery below).
For our branch feature, we have two short pieces from
Martins Bank Magazine, in which we witness someone moving out, and some
moving up, as one Manager retires, and his successor is soon promoted again.
In Service: Pre 1927 until 12
Image © Barclays Ref:
on out, moving on up…
the occasion of the retirement of Mr. Harry Lumb after 36 years' service a
party of his colleagues, past and present, was entertained to tea by Mr. and
Mrs. Lumb at the Great Horton Conservative Club on September 30th. After
conveying the District General Manager's regrets at his enforced absence, Mr.
J. A. McGregor, Leeds Assistant District Manager, presented Mr. Lumb with a
dinner service on behalf of his colleagues. The girls of Great Horton branch
then gave Mrs. Lumb a bouquet. Mr. Lumb was
appointed to be the first Manager of Great Horton branch in 1948 after many
years' service at Halifax branch and a short spell on the Inspection staff.
He was a member of the old Equitable Bank Staff.
new inspector at Leeds District Office is Mr F M Walker, who has been Manager
at Great horton branch since 1959. He
entered the bank in 1943 at Bradford, served with HM Forces from 1945 to
1948. and subsequently served at Wakefield, Pudsey, Vicar Lane and Leeds City
Office. He is no stranger to the
branches in the District, as he served in District Office for five years from
1954 until his appointment to Great Horton.