Bradford has a large
share of Martins Branches, some of which come from amalgamations, and others
are opened during the time of the modern day Martins Bank. The Craven Bank, which merges in 1906 with
the Bank of Liverpool has branches at Clayton, and Manningham Lane – the
latter being referred to simply as Manningham Branch. A somewhat unusual
looking building, Manningham breaks the rule of a typical corner site branch
by having its main door in one street, and its main windows in another! There are no visits by Martins Bank
Magazine to Manningham, but there are two retirement write-ups which form our
main feature below. Taken together,
the combined service of the two retirees - Mr Sutcliffe and Mr Sykes – is EIGHTY-SIX YEARS!
19 June 1893 until 5 August 1994
Branch Images ©
Barclays Ref: 0030-1839
Manningham is a sub
branch before the Second World War, but in 1943 it is upgraded to full branch
status, the Manager at the time of the
1969 merger with Barclays is Mr D E Greaves.
Images © Barclays
the end of August Mr. P. Q. K. Sutcliffe retired after 42 years' service in
the Bank and to mark the occasion his friends and colleagues gathered
together to present him with a wristlet watch. Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliffe
subsequently entertained the gathering to refreshments. Mr. Sutcliffe entered the service in 1915 at Bradford.
From 1916 to 1920 he served with H.M. Forces, afterwards returning to
Bradford. He was transferred to Sheffield in 1928 and to Leeds in 1932. His
first appointment came in 1936 when he became Clerk-in-Charge at Manningham
branch. He was appointed Manager there in 1943.
over thirty past and present members
of the staff, including the District General Manager, met at an excellent
buffet tea at Manningham branch to mark Mr Sykes' retirement as Manager. Mr W. Oldroyd (Manager, Leeds City Office) paid his own
tribute to Mr Sykes, and called upon Miss Webster to present a bouquet to Mrs
Sykes. He then welcomed Mr Lister who thanked Mr Sykes for his excellent
record of service to the Bank, making special reference to his very happy
customer and staff relationships. He referred to the progress of the branch
under Mr Sykes's management and mentioned his personal attributes. He then presented a cheque, the gift of over 50
colleagues throughout the District, wishing Mr and Mrs Sykes many years of
health and happiness in retirement. Mr Sykes
said how much he had enjoyed his years in the Bank and how much he valued the
friendships he had made. He paid special tribute to the devoted help of his
wife which had contributed so much to his success, and thanked all his
friends for their gift with which he would buy an automatic slide projector.
Before leaving the very enjoyable party which
followed, each person signed an illuminated scroll as a memento of the
occasion. Mr Sykes began his 44 years'
service at Wyke branch in 1922. After serving at a number of branches in the
Leeds District and in H.M. Forces for four years, he became Pro Manager at
Scarborough in 1952 and Manager at Manningham in 1957.