Although Martins Bank can trace its oldest roots to the London of 1563, the Bank
does not become complacent about its presence in the City and its
suburbs.� From the 1930s onwards the London
portfolio of branches increases steadily, with sometimes as many as three
branches a year being opened in and around the Capital.� When Hampstead opens its doors at 124
Finchley Road, an apparent gap is plugged that gives continuity between
Marylebone Road and Golders Green, as Martins Bank Magazine � on a visit to
Hampstead in 1964 explains�
In Service: 1964 until 9 July 1976
Image � Barclays Ref 0030/1173
There is no longer a gap
between our branches at Golders Green and Marylebone Road, now that Hampstead
branch has opened at 124 Finchley Road, N.W.3, and, when builders' lorries,
bricks, sand and cement mixers have completed their work on adjoining property,
we will have an imposing site in the columned arcade. Even now it is
remarkable how a compara�tively narrow frontage has been made to look wider
by the use of black granite and clear glass with stainless steel. Inside the
branch, however, there is ample space and the predominant teak is handsomely
offset by the white walls.
beams inter�spersed with channels of light run the length of the ceiling and
the grey mosaic floor reflects the concealed lighting at the counter. It is a
cheerful, friendly place made friendlier by our Manager, Mr W. A. C.
Halliwell, and his staff.Mr Halliwell, a Cambridge m.a., has the lively mind so essential for starting a new
business in an area which, despite its Heath and its golf, has no real centre
but a full share of money, enter�prise and shopping facilities.
is no place for a country gentleman and Mr Halliwell�s experience which,
since completion of the graduate training course, has covered signing
authority at Waterloo Place and assistant managership at Ludgate Circus
should be of considerable value. Mr A. W. Rose, whose banking life since entering the service at
Dartford in 1952 has been gained entirely in the London District, came to the
second position at Hampstead from Kingsway branch and is already well known
to colleagues as the force behind the Bank's athletics.
Less well-known is his wide interest in
people and places abroad, stemming perhaps from the fact that he was born in
Egypt. Of the two
younger members of the staff, Miss M. Waters was unfortunately away from the
branch on the day we called. She
began her banking life in the North Eastern District in 1959 coming to London
District in 1962, while Mr R. H. Barton was previously at Holloway Road
branch where he entered the service in 1960.
Image � Barclays Ref 0030-1173