Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Originally opened in 1868 by the Manchester and Salford Bank, Martins Bank’s Branch at 38 Market Street Lancaster is acquired in 1883 by Messrs Wakefield Crewdson’s Kendal Bank, as Lancaster is deemed to be too far away from the catchment area of the Manchester and Salford Bank!  Ten years later, the Branches of Wakefield Crewdson are acquired by the Bank of Liverpool, and Lancaster continues its journey towards being part of the modern day Martins Bank.  The fine premises comprise a ground and three upper floors, and a basement containing the safes and other rooms.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Customers are greeted by this mosaic, one of a number of ARTWORKS specially commissioned by the bank.

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/1540

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

Branch Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/1540

Sep 1.jpg

In the mid to late sixties, Martins updates the interior of Lancaster Branch almost beyond recognition, opting for same the smooth lines and bright lighting of the new Branch at Lancaster University. 

Sep 1.jpg

Lancaster Market St. old int (30-1540-8).jpg

Lancaster Market St. old int (30-1540-11).jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/1540

Sep 1.jpg

In the mid to late sixties, Martins updates the interior of Lancaster Branch almost beyond recognition, using the most up to date designs and materials, and reducing the opression of dark wood by opting for same the smooth lines and bright lighting of the new Branch at Lancaster University.  The use of brown asbestos will however, come back to haunt the Bank’s new owners in the 1990s, when a major refit has to first cope with the discovery and extremely careful removal of a substance nowadays known to be deadly.  The two uppermost floors had not been fully utilised until Barclays needed to expand its operation at the site, and epand it did, into every one of the upstairs rooms.  This is one of a long line of re-fits for Lancaster including two during Martins’ time.  Lancaster’s sub-Branches include flagship new premises at LANCASTER UNIVERSITY, the LANCASTER FARMERS’ AUCTION MART, and the villages of CATON and HORNBY.  Along with four more Branches in MORECAMBE, this area is well served by Martins Bank.  Martins’ Lancaster.

Sep 1.jpg

Roman Towns

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank’s 1949 Advertising Campaign features a series of drawings by the artist Geoffrey Wedgwood which depict the connection between various English towns and the Roman occupation of Britain. This advertisement features Lancaster Castle, and an explanation of the Latin words from which “Lancaster” is derived. Lunecastrum is said to have been an important Roman settlement. Amongst the other towns featured in this series of advertisements are WORCESTER, LEICESTER and BUXTON.

Goodbye Barclays?

Sep 1.jpg

image068At the time of the 1969 merger, many Martins Branches are not simply closed, or swapped for better equipped Barclays Branches in the same town.  In the North of England, where until 1969 Martins has been the predominent Bank, the Branches are large, modernised and ready for expansion. Barclays Bank Lancaster has until this time taken up about half of Lancaster’s old Town Hall, a building which nowadays is a museum.  Our friends at Barclays have unearthed some rare images of what this part of the City is like in 1961. The following three pictures show the Barclays Branch from the front and the side, and one with a view of Martins, (the current Barclays premises), in the background…

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 33.932a

Image © Barclays Ref 33.932b

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

gallery

Sep 1.jpg

1911 to 1915  Mr T A Fawcett joined the bank here MBM-Su55P52.jpg

1914 Mr N E Cavendish joined the bank here MBM-Su61P52.jpg

1917 Mr H L Scholefield Joined the bank here MBM-Au56P50.jpg

1922 Mr E Herd MBM-Wi54P46.jpg

1930 approx to 1955 Mr E M Nelson Manager from 1946 MBM-Wi59P51.jpg

1935 to 1936 Mr J Bainbridge MBM-Au46P24.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr T A Fawcett

Joined the Bank Here

1911 to 1915

Mr N E Cavendish

Joined the Bank Here

1914

Mr H L Scholefield

Joined the Bank Here

1917

Mr E Herd

On the Staff

1922

Mr E M Nelson

On staff 1930 to 1953

Pro Manager from 1946

Mr J Bainbridge

On the Staff

1935 to 1936

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1937 to 1939 Mr FR Alston MBM-Wi67P01.jpg

1953 to 1964 Mr J G Young Manager MBM-Su64P58.jpg

1938 to 1968 Mr J Moffatt pro Manager from 1968 MBM-Sp68P06.jpg

1941 to 1943 joined, then 1955 to 1960 pro manager then 1964 onwards Mr EA Youdell Manager MBM-Su64P07.jpg

1941 to 1955 Mr H Lofthouse joined the bank here MBM-Wi68P06.jpg

1943 to 1953 Mr J E Leake Manager MBM-Sp63P54.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F R Alston

On the Staff

1937 to 1939

Mr J G Young

Accountant 1937 to 1946

Manager 1953 to 1964

Mr J Moffat

Pro Manager

1938 to 1968

Mr E A Youdell

Joined 1941 to 1943

Manager 1964 onwards

Mr H Lofthouse

Joined the Bank Here

1941 to 1955

Mr J E Leake

Manager

1943 to 1953

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1946 to 1948 Mr J R Williams MBM-Sp65P06.jpg

1947 to 1951 Mr J N Edgar MBM-Sp64P05.jpg

1951 to 1953 Mr P C Towers MBM-Au68P07.jpg

1951 to 1955 Mr MJM Anderton MBM-Wi66P04.jpg

1960 to 1963 Mr A W Denton Pro Manager MBM-Sp66P04.jpg

1963 to 1966 Mr DG Brogden Pro Manager MBM-Sp66P07.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J R Williams

On the Staff

1946 to 1948

Mr J N Edgar

On the Staff

1947 to 1951

Mr P C Towers

On the Staff 1951 to 1953

Assistant Manager 1969

Mr M J M Anderton

On the Staff

1951 to 1955

Mr W A Denton

Pro Manager

1960 to 1963

Mr D G Brogden

Pro Manager

1963 to 1966

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1966 Pamela Whittaker Cashier MBM-Wi66P51.jpg

1966 to 1969 Mr R N Mulholland pro the Asst Manager MBM-Sp66P03.jpg

1967 to 1968 Mr N A Pritchard MBM-Wi68P07.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Miss Pamela Whittaker

Cashier

1966

Mr R N Mulholland

Pro Manager

1966 to 1969

Mr N A Pritchard

On the Staff

1967 to 1968

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

FIVE BRANCHES and TRUSTEE DEPARTMENT

Sep 1.jpg

 

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

THREE BRANCHES

Sep 1.jpg

 

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

T­WO BRANCHES

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

UNITED DOMINIANS TRUST

WILLIAMS DEACON’S BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-23-41%20Guiseley_files/image047.jpg

YORKSHIRE BANK LIMITED

 

 

 

Branch Information

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-27-50 Lancaster

Main Branch

38 Market Street Lancaster Lancashire

215 Northern

Mon-Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Lancaster 64385

Nightsafe Installed

Mr E A Youdell Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-80-80 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY**

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-27-50 LANCASTER FARMERS’ AUCTION MART

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-27-50 CATON

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-27-50 HORNBY

Sep 1.jpg

Branch History

1868

1883

27 June 1893

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

Opened by the Manchester and Salford Bank

Acquired by Wakefield Crewdson – The Kendal Bank

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Bank Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-47-60 Lancaster*

Currently

image037

Sep 1.jpg

*Martins Bank Lancaster is originally allocated a Barclays sorting code number of 20-47-60 until the nearby smaller Barclays Branch is closed.  The combined business then operates under the sorting code 20-47-61. 

 

**Martins’ Lancaster University Branch is originally run as a sub-Branch under the Martins Lancaster sorting code of 11-27-50, but the Branch status is changed to self-accounting sub-Branch in 1968 and is allocated its own Martins sorting code number – 11-80-80.

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg